Sunday, December 30, 2007

The poster on the wall

Winter time, it’s the holidays, and the mall is bustling with a buzz of people everywhere. A huge store and red sale signs are battling for attention. Regular exercise has been miraculously replaced by a frenzy of shopping and running after deals of what you need and what you simply wish to have. And among that all I raised my eyes to a poster hanging on the wall. I gasped softly at its beauty and how it saved me from the world of cruel consumerism all around me. I smiled to it as if welcoming back a friend deeply missed. A room with a view it was. You can almost see the soft white curtains swaying tenderly to the ocean’s breeze. The mesmerizing blue ocean is extending as far as the eye can see and sun rays are alluringly glittering on its calm ripples. If you close your eyes, you will almost feel that damp breeze on your skin, you will hear seagulls calling you to jump from that hard-wooden floor and plunge into that throbbing thrill. A moment of pure beauty and tremendous splendor… Then I opened my eyes. Still smiling, I walked along keeping in my heart that poster that I inhaled with all my senses.

Beauty can still be there; in spite of it all.

No comments: