Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Stories

Raining cats and dogs outside, a true sign of spring here, and the clouds are thick and heavy. But, do I care? Nope! I somehow enjoy the day light that tells me that the sun is still there somewhere waiting to shine with its pristine smile again. But rain or shine, I have had some time for myself today at last after grueling weeks of packing and unpacking that preceded and followed moving to a new place. Moving is indeed a tricky business. Take aside the gnawing state of instability, the complete mess and the immense physical effort needed, that left me feeling cheated when I was not fit at all for the that marathon, it is the sorting that drains you most. That was the third time for me to pack and move in the six years I have spent in Canada. But the first two times followed a ten-month stay only. This time, on the other hand, it followed 4 years! It is overwhelming to dig up stuff you put away to read later that end up untouched for years, the pile of small broken appliances that you wished to fix one day, the clothes and toys that the kids have outgrown, and the list goes on. But it is the memories that come along with everything that do stop you every now and then to think and remember. It is like John Grisham puts it, “Everything I touched brought by a story with it.” I went through my papers to decide what to shred and what to keep and a warm whiff of reminiscence took me back to friends I have not seen in a long while and ones that I may never see again. Sweet words of endearment that left me pondering on the whereabouts of those people and whether they have changed. Beautiful cards that kept me grateful to those who simply thought of me. Old pictures of myself that display an array of expressions reflecting how the character evolved as responsibilities changed and perspectives progressed. Art crafts the kids made that I saved and used to keep on the fridge for them to see how I appreciated them. Old memoirs with goals I am yet to attain and potentials I have finally met. Worn-out books that accompanied me through long nights of studying and frustrations. Bitter-sweet memories and many many stories.

No comments: